Cupcakes vs Cakes
Naturally most people are drawn to one or the other for their wedding; cupcakes or cake.
We all watch the shows like Cake Boss and Cupcake Wars yet are torn when it comes to what to do for your own wedding. It's not often that you have the oportunity to help design a 3 tiered masterpiece. However, cupcakes are inching ahead in the war for featured dessert in weddings.
Jumping right into the boxing ring we have cakes in one corner and cupcakes in the other.
In the past, cakes win the match in the first round. They're more elgant and sophisticated. Traditionally they were made to bring luck the the guests and the couple. These days they are more of a centerpeice and talking point for the guest. There are many superstitions and lots of history with the wedding cake and newlyweds. Girls see these stunning creations on a variety of reality shows (Four Weddings, Rich Bride Poor Bride, Cake Boss, etc) and without knowing start forming a thought of what they would do with their own cake. Many times the cake can be in a different flavors, based on amount of tiers, which can be great if you and your partner have different taste buds. Things to consider when going with a cake:
- Does your venue charge a cake cutting fee? Add this to your budget.
- If it's fondant, make sure both the venue and baker know where to store it properly and when to deliver.
- Cheesecake and ice cream can't be on display all night for your guests to admire.
- Typically wedding cakes are 3 tiers, talk to your baker about size/amount of guests to see what fits your wedding best.
- Round or square?
- Talk to your baker about mini cakes (pic shown below) for the best of both worlds!
- Style of your cake, color and theme are always the most fun aspects (in our opinion)! Come look through our many books and albums to get inspiration!
Cupcakes are the modern winner of this battle. Casual, easy and fun these bite size goodies are a huge trend in weddings currently. Most places bake in two sizes, regular and bite-size, allowing you to get the perfect amount for your guests both young and old. Chosing from a wide varitey of flavors and colors, you can mix and match to get many different kinds to please everyone sweet creavings. Thigns to consider when going with cupcakes:
- All regular size, all mini or a combo?
- Do you want to do a cake cutting, then order a mini cake to match from your baker so you can still cut the cake together.
- If your venue charges for cake cutting, cupcakes might be a more feasable option for you.
- Are you guests dance floor lovers? Cupcakes are a great way to keep the party going with the ease of boogy-woogy dancing feet and one handed eating.
- Not as many options for decor or style as cakes, but there are more than you would think- come look through our books and albums for more ideas, as well as ask your baker.
- You can add filing to the cupcakes, so if you love ganache centers as much as I do- you can still savor the creamy center.
Often cupcakes are a less expensive option, but again depending on your order and vision this can vairy. Contact Cupcasion, Kakes by Kathie or Whisk Cake Company for more information and to book your wedding cupcakes or cake today! (for 2013 they're booking up fast)